The aims of the International Society of Ecoacoustics include:
- To promote a scientific approach to the study of ecoacoustics.
- To create a network between scientists and students to facilitate the exchange of information about theories, methods and tools in ecoacoustics.
DISSEMINATION OF IDEAS AND RESEARCH
- To facilitate regular meetings, workshops and seminars across the Australasian region.
- To promote publications (proceedings, book series and journals).
- To support collaboration with other scientific disciplines with links to acoustics, ecology and conservation biology.
- To work with other organizations to use ecoacoustics to help achieve ecological integrity in the world’s disappearing ecosystems.
- To encourage acoustic research projects on endangered species and threatened ecosystems and to promote the conservation of acoustic diversity and natural soundscapes.
- To promote interdisciplinary approaches in the development of data acquisition and analysis tools by bringing together competences in microelectronics, signal processing, and information technology.
- To promote new approaches to data analysis by bringing together competences in “big data” and “data mining.
- To promote the collection and archiving of natural sounds.
- To promote ecoacoustics public outreach through new educational formats and science-based sound art across the widest possible range of disciplines.